SF Signal et ses questions aux auteurs

Modérateurs : Estelle Hamelin, Eric, jerome, Jean, Travis, Charlotte, tom, marie.m

Répondre
Priscilla

SF Signal et ses questions aux auteurs

Message par Priscilla » jeu. juin 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Le site SF Signal.com a pour habitude de poser une question concernant les littératures de l'Imaginaire à de nombreux auteurs, puis nous livre leurs réponses.

Cette fois-ci, la question est : What Civilizations and cultures are neglected as inspirations in Fantasy and Science Fiction?

Voici la réponse de Daniel Abraham ( Les Cités de Lumières) :
Almost all of them are under-used and almost none of them are utterly ignored. And there are reasons for both of those things to be true. Most fantasy and science fiction is less in conversation with real history and culture than it is with other fantasy and science fiction literature, so there winds up being a feedback loop in which fantasy is about faux-medieval quasi-Europe because it's all in the shadow of Tolkien (rather than because of some particular virtue of faux-medieval quasi-Europe). And at the same time, genre writers try new things and reach for the unfamiliar in a way that encourages experimentation with non-standard cultures. Barry Hughart's The Bridge of Birds, Ian McDonald's River of Gods, Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl, Aliette de Bodard's Obsidian and Blood books, and Who Fears Death? by Nnedi Okorafor all come to mind. All of them are bringing something to the table that broadens that conversation within the genre, but none of them have yet brought that so much into the mainstream that their settings have become standard.

If I got to pick what cultures and civilizations got more stage time in our genres, I'd like to see more of India, especially in the era of the East India Company. I think having a fantasy set in a similar place and time would open up some really interesting possibilities. I'd also like to see more use of eastern Europe and Russia of the kind that Ekaterina Sedilla and Catherynne Valente have been doing.

More than particular civilizations and cultures, though, I'd be very interested in seeing more stories set in contexts of poverty. Class is the third rail of American culture, and when I see what noir does with rural poverty in something like Winter's Bone, it makes me interested in seeing something similar in other genres.
Pour plus de détails, et voir la réponse d'autres auteurs, c'est ici
What would Malcolm Reynolds do ?

Répondre

Retourner vers « Les infos sur la Science Fiction, la Fantasy et le fantastique en général »